Posted on April 7, 2016, 1:05 pm By Bryan King
The Lincoln Park Police Department wants to provide a few tips on how to avoid being a victim of phone scams. Recently we have had several reports of citizens being contacted by suspected phone scammers. Following these tips can help avoid being a victim.
- If you get a call saying you’re a winner – don’t pay any money to collect supposed sweepstakes winnings. Legitimate operations won’t require you to pay to collect your winnings.
- Never wire money to anyone with whom you are not familiar with
- Never provide anyone with personal information such as bank accounts, pin numbers or Social Security numbers.
- Check any unfamiliar area codes before returning calls
- Never make donations over the phone, no matter how nicely the caller may ask and how tempting the reward.
- IRS scams – This is not the IRS scamming you, but rather someone impersonating the IRS. Never give any personal information over the phone to anyone claiming to work for the IRS. This is not an IRS policy to request payment and personal information over the phone. * The IRS already had your information*
- If you become a victim please immediately contact the police department.
Categories: Accouncement Tags: anyone, avoid, avoid victim, caller, calls, collect, contact, department, immediately, information, information phone, IRS, matter, money, never, nicely, numbers, pay, personal, personal information, personal information phone, phone, police, Police Department, provide, scams, tips, victim, winnings, –